Sunday, January 30, 2011

* Party Island *

Today I took a spontaneous beach trip with my friends. Little did I know that I would end up on a journey that will forever be remembered as the longest 2 hours of my life.

.......................................................


If you don't know, one of my favorite happy places is Belmont Shores in Long Beach. So naturally that's where we ended up to watch the sunset. After taking a short walk, my friends pointed to the jetty and suggested we take a leisurely stroll on it. I've always observed the jetty from afar but never attempted to walk on it.

From a distance, the jetty looks friendly and inviting. As if you could chit chat the world away while calmly walking further and further into the Pacific. UH WRONG! By the time I was close enough to see that in fact the jetty was made up of misplaced jagged boulders that would rip you to pieces as you fall to your death into the ocean of doom, it was too late. My friends were already gleefully announcing we would hike all the way to the end of the jetty so they could closely see the blinking green light pole which they excitedly named (wait for it) ... Party Island. Being that they are little men-boys and I was the only female representative, they taunted me until I felt it was only right for me to stick up for all the women of the world by accepting their invitation to reach Party Island.





This journey was not easy to say the least. One slight misstep and your blood would be all that remained of you on those menacing rocks. Dark+cold+wind+short legs+poor eyesight+looming rainclouds= one uneasy and unbalanced me.  I swear we were walking for hours and every time I stopped to look up at that light pole, it would literally seem like we had made ZERO progress. Zilch. Nada. It was just as far as it had ever been. Thus the internal mental battle began for me. One half of my brain was saying just give up! We'll never make it! While the other side was saying finish! You can do it!

This continued on for the majority of the way.

I almost gave up like 10 times. But... I didn't. Very slowly and carefully I eventually made it to Party Island which upon arrival we realized should have been renamed Urine Rock if we wanted to be accurate.

Regardless, just making it to the end was a proud moment for me (though it was short lived once I realized we had to turn around and go back). Now that it's over and done with, I'm actually glad we did it. It was definitely a challenge and something I would never do again, but it made for a very interesting memory.

I have to admit though. If it wasn't for these particular two friends, I don't think I would have made it even halfway. Actually wait, I take that back. I would have never even gone near the jetty in the first place. So thanks Jon and Paul for endangering my life for your own amusement.

But all is not lost. Once it was glaringly apparent that a) there was no partying on Party Island and b) the blinking green light pole looked exactly the same from 2 miles away as it did up close, I bitterly made the monkeys dance. Which I've looped and uploaded for your amusement.

Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment