Friday, February 25, 2011

* Happy 100 *

Happy 100th Birthday Grandpa




Based on the Chinese calendar my grandpa would have been 100 today.
Of all people, I wish I would have gotten to meet him... know him. He sounded like a great man.  A man of true compassion, patience, integrity and love. He put many lives before his own and loved his family immensely.

One of my favorite past times with my dad is hearing all of his memories of my grandpa. When we went to visit Taiwan a couple months ago, I remember standing in front of the store that used to be my grandpa's clinic and just closing my eyes. I wanted to envision scenes from the stories I've collected throughout the years from family members: where my grandpa would see his patients... how he would call his kids after a long day's worth of work to go down the block for some chua bing (shaved ice)... where my dad and uncle would play on the streets with the neighborhood children and my grandma would come out by the doorway to call them in for dinner.

That's a world that I'll never know but yet it's apart of me. It's in my blood. It's who I am. And for that alone, I'm truly grateful.


Thank you Grandpa. 
Happy Birthday. 







1 comment:

  1. Cool celebrations. My grandfather is still alive, though. :)

    ReplyDelete